The 10 Best Adventure Helmets
Nope. Not going to repeat the same old mantra of why helmets are important, why you should wear one, and how come your head and brain are irreplaceable.
Also not going to bomb you with motorcycle road safety statistics or links to studies that can prove what you already know, and don’t need anyone repeating till exhaustion. No, Sir. Let alone me.
If you are reading this article:
- First, of all, thank you.
- Second, I’m betting that you already know the type of helmet you like, and what suits your motorcycle travel adventure needs. So there is no point in explaining why Adventure/Dual-Sport Helmets are the best mix of full-face and off-road lids, that protect you on all terrains, and conditions, allow for better ventilation, and so on.
- Third and lastly, if by any chance you find yourself reading this article, and are not yet sure about the adventure motorcycle helmet more general pic, check out our Ultimate Guide on How to Choose Your Adv Bike Helmet. Not all riders that do Adventure Bike Travel use Adventure/Dual-Sport helmets, and they are perfectly happy with the helmet-type choice they made. See what type best fits your riding needs, as they all have positive and negative characteristics for every riding type. Road, Off-Road, Adventure, Modular/Flip-Up, it’s your choice. And you you want to pair that helmet choice with an airbag and increase your protection, check out the Best Motorcycle Airbag Vests 2021.
This article focuses on the best adventure helmets now available in the market, at all price ranges, and also includes some Flip-Up adventure lids.
Let’s jump to the point and introduce our selection of The 10 Best Adventure Helmets 2021.
The 10 best Adventure Helmets
Table of Contents
Klim Krios Pro Karbon Helmet
The Klim Krios Pro Karbon Adventure Helmet is probably one of the best, if not the best adventure/dual-sports helmets on the market today. At least it’s the lightest. According to Klim, new and innovative technology was used in the construction, allowing for weight reduction and better distribution, and overall increased performance in shock absorption and comfort.
The peak and visors are easily removable, and the helmet is google compatible. Riders can adapt the lid to the different riding conditions. For those that like to keep communications open while riding the Klim Krios Pro offers Sena10U compatibility.
- It weighs just 2,86lb/1300g
- Full Carbon Fiber hand laid shell
- KOROYD® Structures crush homogenously for better impact absorption
- Large view opening
- Fully adjustable chin/forehead vents
- Ventilation ports on the back of the helmet
- Aero dynamical design for better stability and quieter rides
- Quick-release shield and visor. No tool is required.
- Includes PINLOCK-READY® anti-scratch polycarbonate shield
- Includes TRANSITIONS® Photochromic lens
- FID-LOCK® Strap closure system.
- Four Ride Modes: Street, Adventure, Dirt, Trail.
- Goggles are compatible when the face shield is removed
- KLIMATEK™ Antimicrobial/moisture-wicking liner, easily removable.
- SENA 10U Compatible
- ECE certified.
AGV AX9 Carbon Helmet
The AGV AX9 Carbon is a lightweight Adventure helmet that feels great on road, courtesy of the panoramic wide opening that allows for amazing visibility. However, it’s off-road that this lid puts pressure on the competition. With a longer chin-bar providing room and plenty of ventilation, there is no shortage of air while riding the more technical routes.
With a motocross feeling to it, this 100% carbon fiber shell, permits the removal of both peak and visor, allowing 4 different combinations.
- 100% carbon fiber shell
- Weighs 3,36lb/1.525g in first shell size
- Available in three shell sizes
- Removable chin vent guard, no tool required
- Three intake vents
- Adjustable chin-vent
- Two extractor vents
- Panoramic wide opening
- Pinlock-ready visor
- Max Vision Pinlock lens included
- Adjustable peak
- Double-D strap retention system
- Four different configurations – peak/visor, no peak/visor, peak/goggles, no peak/goggles
- Removable and washable interiors and wind protector
- Moisture-wicking top liner and cheek pads
- Water-resistant neckroll with Shalimar and Nabuk fabrics.
- Ready for a generic communication system, and provided with speaker pockets
Arai Tour X4 Helmet
Produced by an incredibly popular and renowned manufacturer, the Arai Tour X4 is a premium quality adventure/dual-sport helmet. Very well ventilated, easy to maintain, and having all the interior removable, this a very comfortable lid.
Interior parts come in different size thicknesses and are allow a custom fit for every rider.
This helmet has been around for a long time and has evolved throughout the years. Arai stands by this helmet’s quality offering a 5-year limited warranty.
- Outer shell: Complex Fibre Laminate (CFL)
- Weight:3.66 lbs/1660g
- Tour-X4 Ventilation
- Adjustable and closable three-position chin vent; Inner chin vent shutter; Brow ventilation, lower side vents, and neck roll exhaust.
- Pull Down Chin Spoiler
- Pinlock insert lens
- Dry-Cool® Liner
- Replaceable Cheek pads/Ear cups
- Replaceable Interior
- Interior parts in different size thicknesses are available for a custom fit for every rider.
- Facial Contour System (FCS)
- Cheek Pads with 5mm ’’Peel Away’’ Temple pad
- Emergency Release System (ERS)
- Double-D ring retainer system
- ECE 22-05 approved
Schuberth E1 Adventure Helmet
The Schuberth E1 is a modular/flip-up adventure helmet. This particular model is designed to take off-road what the C4 does on the street. However, it is not as off-road oriented as others, finding that touring with the occasional dirt adventure are its preferred grounds.
With easily removable visor and sun visor, internal sun visor, and adjustable peak, it’s rather simple to switch modes on this lid.
With well constructed interiors, comfortable liner and padding, the E1 still sits high on the weight chart, although modular helmets tend to be heavier.
Very popular among adventure touring riders, it’s also equipped to accommodate Schuberth’s in-house communication system.
- Shell material: Schuberth’s unique technology – high-pressure vacuum compressed combination between directly processed glass fiber and a special resin
- Weight: from 3,74lb/1695g to 4,17lb/1890g
- Spoiler integrated into the helmet shell
- EPS complex multizone optimized foaming
- Inner lining combination of COOLMAX and Thermocool materials.
- COOLMAX pad system, completely removable and washable (hand wash, 30°C), Antibacterial, Allergen-free, and Adjustable for summer/winter
- The comfort cheek and the headband pads are removable.
- Vents designed with multipath channels in the EPS foam liner and the head/chin/mouth ventilation channel fresh air effectively over the entire head area.
- The Anti-Roll-Off System (A.R.O.S.) ensures that the helmet cannot roll off of the head when the chinstrap is closed and correctly adjusted
- Micro-lock ratchet chin strap
- No-Tools EasyChange visor mechanism
- Integrated sun visor
- Pinlock prevents shield from fogging
- SRC-System Ready
- FM and Bluetooth antennas integrated into the helmet
- DOT approved
Shoei Hornet X2
The Shoei Hornet has been around for some time. But that doesn’t mean that it wasn’t able to evolve and overcome the test of time. Shoei, a hugely popular manufacturer, built this helmet to be ready to endure every riding situation without compromising its touring ability. That can be seen throughout the helmet premium quality.
Good ventilation, no tool visor removal, pinlock included, the Japanese helmet has got a lot of features worth looking at.
- AIM+ (Advanced Integrated Matrix Plus Multi Fiber) shell construction
- Weight: 3.92lb/1778g
- Four shell sizes
- Dual-layer multi-density EPS liner in key impact areas
- CNS-2 face shield system is 3D injection-molded and offers a distortion-free view
- QR-N base plate system permits a quick and efficient shield removal without removing the visor
- No tools are required to remove the visor
- Includes Pinlock pins and insert
- 3D Max-Dry System II Interior 3D shaped, allow a comfortable fit
- 3D shaped cheek pads are available in multiple thicknesses for a custom fit
- Removable ear pads
- E.Q.R.S. (Emergency Quick-Release System)
- V-460 Visor features an innovative wedge shape with strategically placed vent louvers that allow wind to pass through unobstructed at high speed
- Large multi-position lower air intake/defroster vent
- Two shutter-controlled upper air vents
- Four rear exhaust vents
- Three neck outlet vents
- Removable breath guard and chin curtain included
- Double D retention system
- DOT and Snell 2015 approved
Nexx X.WED2 Carbon
Nexx is a European brand that started manufacturing helmets back in 2001. Twenty years have passed and Nexx has been consistently increasing the quality of its products. Now with the Nexx X.WED2 Carbon, they take yet another step into lightweight high-performance motorcycle adventure helmets.
Goggle compatible, and with a peak extender you can use it both on and off-road. The peak, when not extended, actually performs really well on higher speeds.
The X.WED2 Carbon is comfortable inside, and comes standard with emergency release cheek pads.
Nexx includes a bag of spares that are very convenient.
- X-PRO Carbon Shell
- Weight: 3,2lb/1450g
- Shell Sizes: 3 (XXS-S | M-L | XL-XXXL)
- Panoramic Eye Port
- Inner Sun visor
- PC Lexan shield clear with Anti-Fog position and Super Lock
- Visor with a recessed cavity for Pinlock
- SV Dust Guard – for protection for the sun visor
- Aerodynamic Peak, with adjustable multi-position system and peak extensor
- Air Dynamic System -3 inlets and 2 outlets air-vents; – Chin ventilation and chin wind stopper
- Cheek Pads with emergency strap system V2 that also include straps of the new X-HIDRO system
- X-Lock Quick Release System
- Special chin shape to reduce breast injury risk from frontal impacts
- X.MART DRY fabrics. Soft anti-sweat and anti-allergic fabric inner lining, removable and washable
- Aerodynamic shell & rim
- Night vision – reflectors
- Double D-Ring buckle retainer system with removable chin strap covers
- NEXX X.COM Intercom system prepared – the X-COM in-house communications system developed with SENA
- Action camera support top
- Homologation: ECE/22-05, DOT FMVSS 218
LS2 Explorer Carbon
I can bet the LS2 Explorer Carbon will be one of the most popular adventure/dual-sports helmets in a very short time. Outer shell made with carbon fiber, extremely good ventilation with all (yes all) vents adjustable, and priced very competitively. The recipe for success is on, following the LS2 success in other lid types.
Aggressive styling, on a super-lightweight pack, could be a great choice for many adventure motorcycle riders.
- Carbon Fiber shell
- Weight: 3,05lb/1380g
- 3 shell sizes
- Built-in drop-down sun shield
- Twin Shield System, scratch, and UV resistant
- Pinlock Max Vision Ready
- Quick Release System
- Dynamic flow-through ventilation with channeled EPS
- Washable, breathable, and hypoallergenic liner
- 3D laser cut cheek pads
- Double D Ring
- Emergency Release System
- Reinforced Chin Strap
- Metal Security Plate
- DOT and ECE 22.05 rated
Bell MX-9 Adventure Helmet
If you are on a budget and are looking for a lid that is optimized to mitigate rotational impacts in the dirt, look no further. Bell’s MIPS technology does exactly that, and the MX-9 Adventure Helmet has got it.
That and plenty off other features, bring this entry-level off-road-oriented helmet to a stand-alone position in the segment.
Polycarb construction that extends from the shell to the chin bar, along with fully removable interiors, and plenty of graphic options, grant this lid the right to be on this list.
- Weight:3.58 lbs/1624g
- Lightweight polycarbonate shell
- 3 shell sizes
- EPS-lined chin bar
- Adjustable mouth vent
- Integrated face shield
- Velocity-flow ventilation system
- Moisture-wicking liner, removable and washable
- MIPS Multi-Directional Impact Protection System for dramatically improved rotational impact energy displacement optimized for dirt impacts
- D-ring closure and strap keeper padded
- Five-year warranty
- DOT and ECE certified
The Scorpion EXO-AT950 is a helmet that should be seriously considered if you are looking for an adv bike helmet priced under the 300$ mark. And I do mean really seriously. This is helmet does everything properly.
Not carbon fiber but still DOT approved, offers a good amount of protection, and still manages to set 4 different configurations. Good ventilation, versatile, goggle compatible, comes with an anti-fog face shield, and an antimicrobial liner. And guess what? There even is metal hardware for the chin bar. Amazing at this price point.
- Advanced LG Polycarbonate lightweight shell
- Dual Density EPS advanced multi-layer EPS
- Weight: 1780g (Medium)
- 3 shell sizes
- Aero-Tuned Ventilation – Intake vents on top force cool air in while exhaust vents maximize movement of hot air out of the helmet
- Ellip-Tec™ Ratchet System: uses an elliptical motion that creates 7.6mm of travel which pulls the shield securely against the eye-port, ensuring a proper seal and allows for 100% tool-less shield changing in a matter of seconds
- EverClear No-Fog Face Shield, anti-scratch, with UV-A & UV-B protection
- Wide eye port (11cm tall)
- Drop-down sun visor features EverClear anti-fog coating on both surfaces
- Folding metal visor hardware
- Anti-microbial helmet liner
- Removable cheek pads
- Flip-up chin bar
- Communication system speaker pockets
- Removable block off plates are included for use when the visor is not on the helmet
- DOT approved
- 5-year warranty
Klim Krios Karbon Adventure Helmet
With the Klim Krios Pro as the manufacturer flagship adventure helmet, we shouldn’t forget about the Klim Krios Karbon. The price difference is significant, and if you don’t really need the increased airflow, this helmet is a great option.
Less than 1500g, full carbon construction, and with wide array of premium features.
Very good on and off-road helmet with 4 riding modes that will adapt to every riding type.
- Hand-laid full-carbon shell
- Weight: 3,25lb/1474g
- 2 shell sizes: SM-MD, LG-3XL
- Klimatek Fabric liner systems with adaptive smart foam technology and anti-microbial/bacterial fast-wicking textiles
- Quick-release shield and visor system
- Pinlock-ready Premium Polycarbonate anti-scratch face shield
- Includes Pinlock-ready clear face shield, Pinlock-ready dark smoke face shield, and 1 Pinlock insert
- Intelligent ventilation system
- Airflow through the chin bar vent and a close-able top vent make it comfortable from slow-to-go
- Includes chin curtain
- 4 Riding Modes: ADV/Dual-Sport/Off-Road/Street. Quick no tools transition
- Klim Radius Goggle compatible
- ECE and DOT approved
posts and guides
Continue the route and read these next. Or take a detour and check out our guides
Subscribe to our blogs to get updated riding tips